Our Dance Classes
Who can't help loving Bollywood music? We certainly do! We believe "Bollywood" is not just one specific style of dance, but a collage of many dance styles set to chart-topping Bollywood songs. Traditionally, Bollywood dance has been associated with the 'hip-shaking', 'light-bulb twisting' types of moves. We bring you Bollywood dance at a new level with true elements of Modern, Jazz, Hip-hop, Salsa and Lyrical dance. In addition, we incorporate the deep roots of traditional folk and classical South Asian dance forms such as Bharatnatyam, Raas/Garba, Bhangra (it's not that we use each of these styles in every single choreographed piece - that would not be Bollywood dance, it would be Bollywood 'khichdi').
We use the best songs from the film industry, including the hottest remixes out there! Each song has it's own feel and vibe. We create routines which are connected and appropriate to truly interpret each song.
Our company's ultimate ambition is to transform our students into great dancers and powerful performers and on stage performance is a key aspect of our Bollywood dance program - it helps build confidence, improves dancing & performance skills, impresses family & friends and we believe it's every student's right to have a blast on stage!
Class Age Groups:
We offer classes for the following ages: 3 & 4 year olds (the 'Bacha Party'), 5-8 year olds, 9-12 year olds, Teens and Adults (ages 13+ are welcome in any adults class).
Four quarters of classes are offered per year. Each quarter is anywhere from 6-9 weeks in duration. Each class is 55 minutes long and is held once per week. Each class begins with a 5-7 minute warm-up routine followed by dance instruction based on prepared choreography. The second and fourth quarters end with performances by all our students in America's Got Bollywood, the Spring and Fall Dance Showcase, which is held in May and November each year.
Prerequisites: None. Open to all new and continuing basic students.
- The Basic class introduces students to fundamental steps, techniques and styles in Bollywood dance along with an emphasis on posture, alignment, strength, flexibility and coordination. There is a focus on performance - as expressions and emotions are intrinsic to Bollywood. Gaining self-confidence is an important aspect and goal of this level. All new students are required to enroll in a Basic class as a starting point in the dance program. Promotions to higher level classes are based on instructor approval.
Prerequisites: Completion of the Basic level for 2-3 quarters and Basic class instructor approval to enroll in the Intermediate level.
- The Intermediate class consists of intricate steps and choreography along with a greater emphasis on the performance aspect of dance. The skills studied in the Basic level are further honed; and more complex elements such as prop work, floor routines, turns, formations and partner work are explored. To enroll in an intermediate class, the student must have mastered all the fundamental steps taught in the Basic class and be promoted by the instructor.
Prerequisites: Completion of the Intermediate level for 2-3 quarters and Intermediate class instructor approval to enroll in the Advanced level.
- Both the Advanced and Master level classes engage students by combining various styles and steps in challenging combinations. Bollywood at this level becomes more of a fusion of styles. The emphasis on stage theatrics is highlighted so each student can further develop her/his individual performance skills. Clear and precise execution becomes the key. To enroll in an Advanced level class, the student must have mastered all the steps taught in the Intermediate class and be promoted by the instructor.
Prerequisites: Completion of the Advanced level for 2-3 quarters and Advanced class instructor approval to enroll in the Master level.
- Both the Advanced and Master level classes engage students by combining various styles and steps in challenging combinations. Bollywood at this level becomes more of a fusion of styles. The emphasis on stage theatrics is highlighted so each student can further develop her/his individual performance skills. Clear and precise execution becomes the key. To enroll in a Master class, the student must have mastered all the steps taught in the Advanced class and be promoted by the instructor.
- CONTEMPORARY CLASS
- The goal of this class is to delve into Contemporary Dance technique, whether one is a new student or an Advanced level student looking to fine-tune their technique. Breath, flow, momentum, release and moving seamlessly through the floor are some aspects that we will explore in this class. There will also a focus on the emotional quality of the movement and finding different textures within the dance. The class will consist of an intensive warmup, progressions and culminate in the learning of choreography.
- EMERGING PERFORMERS
This program is uniquely designed to offer intensive training and performance opportunities to students who show potential to step into the professional dance arena. The students train with Mona Sampath Khan and other senior instructors of the company, as well as guest teachers and prominent choreographers. Students study technique and choreography of Hip Hop, Jazz, Modern Dance, signature dance style of icons like Michael Jackson and of course Bollywood. In addition to being featured during the company's Spring and Fall Dance Showcases, numerous other performance opportunities may be provided to Emerging Performer students. We have three Emerging Performers classes: Kids, Juniors and Principal (adults).
Watch some highlights of the Emerging Performers, company troupe and instructor performances:
2014 Spring Showcase 2013 Fall Showcase 2013 Spring Showcase 2011 Fall Showcase 2012 Fall Showcase 2011 Spring Showcase 2012 Spring Showcase Part 1 2010 Fall Showcase 2012 Spring Showcase Part 2
Admittance into the Emerging Performers program is based on auditions. For students enrolled in our dance classes - recommendation from your instructor is also encouraged.
- INTENSIVE TRAINING CLASS
- The Intensive Training Class serves to bridge the gap between the Master Class and the Emerging Performers Program. By audition only, this class provides technical training in Jazz, Contemporary, Hip Hop and Bollywood and works on overall alignment, strength, flexibility and versatility. Students have the opportunity to work with senior instructors of the Mona Khan Company and take their dancing to the next level, with the goal of preparing to eventually join the EP Program. This program is not performance based. Students who enroll for this batch must also enroll for a regular dance class. They will get the exposure and training to perform through their regular class while their technical skills are fine-tuned through the Intensive Training Class. When students of the program are deemed ready to audition for the Emerging Performers program, an instructor will advise the students and parents accordingly.
- We offer classes for our adorable senior citizens - the one and only Jollywood group. Classes are during the day on weekdays at the India Community Center in Milpitas. The rocking Jollywood gang perform at the company's Spring and Fall Dance Showcases and never fail to inspire a standing ovation from thrilled audiences. This group is in high demand, and they have a busy performance schedule throughout the year. To be a part of this program, please email us.
- We love our our stars at Jeena! A non-profit organization, Jeena provides services to children with special needs. The amazing and inspiring kids of various age groups perform on stage during the company's Spring and Fall Dance Showcases! Classes are held at the Jeena facility in Milpitas. To be a part of this program, please email us.
It is important to complete each level and go through the above course of classes in order to obtain a strong foundation and to grow as a dancer with correct form, technique and performance skills. In addition, classes help with building confidence, posture, flexibility and overall fitness! Contact us with questions on which level to enroll in.
Over the last decade, Bollywood has grown in popularity and is now represented and recognized as a dance form in America! Join us and be a part of this fabulously fun and growing trend - we have something for everyone! Come and spend a few hours with us in the studio...we promise that you will have the time of your life.
Registrations are now open - sign up today!
|Follow us on Twitter|
|Watch us on Youtube|
|Read about or review us|
|Join our mailing list|